Dr. Balada-Llasat is the Director of Immunology and Associate Director of Clinical Microbiology at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and an Associate Professor of Pathology at the Ohio State University. His major research and clinical interest focuses on the implementation of rapid laboratory tests for the diagnosis of infectious diseases with special interest in low cost tests for use in areas of limited resources. He is working on tuberculosis and HPV global health initiatives in Central America, Africa and India.
d(ABMM), American Board of Pathology
Academic and Medical Appointments
2016-Present Associate Professor-Clinical, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio.
2014-2016 Assistant Professor-Clinical, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio.
Education and Training
2006-2008 Fellowship, Clinical Microbiology, CPEP Postgraduate Training Program at University of Washington, Seattle, WA
2000-2006 Ph.D., Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
1998-2000 Fellowship, Molecular Microbiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
1991-1997 Pharm.D., College of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Spain
Search in PubMed
- Smith SM, Balada-Llasat JM, Chen W. Sarcina species-associated gastrointestinal disease. AJCP Case Reports. 2016. MB16-5:1-10.
- Correction for Samuel et al., Multicenter Assessment of Gram Stain Error Rates.Samuel LP, Balada-Llasat JM, Harrington A, Cavagnolo R. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Sep;54(9):2405. doi: 10.1128/JCM.01465-16.
- Bremmer D, Bauer K, Pouch S, Thomas K, Smith D, Goff D, Pancholi P, Balada-Llasat JM. Correlation of checkerboard synergy testing with time-kill analysis and clinical outcomes of extensively drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii respiratory infections. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2016 Aug 15
- Samuel LP, Balada-Llasat JM, Harrington A, Cavagnolo R. Correction for Samuel et al., Multicenter Assessment of Gram Stain Error Rates. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Sep;54(9):2405
- Hussain CK , de Man TJB, Toney NC, Kamboj K, Balada- Llasat JM, Wang SH. A novel rapidly growing mycobacterium causing an abdominal cerebrospinal fluid pseudocyst infection. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. Jul 13;3(3):ofw146.
- Leber, Everhart K, Balada-Llasat JM, Cullison J, Daly J, Holt S, Lephart P, Salimnia H, Schreckenberger P, DesJarlais S, Reed S, Chapin K, Leblanc L, Johnson J, Soliven N, Carroll K, Miller JA, Bard JD, Mestas J, Bankowski M, Enomoto T, Hemmert A, Bourzac K. Multicenter Evaluation of the BioFire FilmArray Meningitis Encephalitis Panel for the Detection of Bacteria, Viruses and Yeast in Cerebrospinal Fluid Specimens, J Clin Microbiol. 2016
- Blosser SJ, Drake SK, Andrasko JL, Henderson CM, Kamboj K, Antonara S, Mijares L, Conville P, Frank KM, Harrington SM, Balada-Llasat JM, Zelazny AM. Multi-Center MALDI-TOF MS Study for the Identification of Clinically-Relevant Nocardia spp. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Feb 24.
- Samuel LP, Balada-Llasat JM, Harrington A, Cavagnolo R. Multicenter Assessment of Gram Stain Error Rates. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Feb 17
- Identification and significance of Weissella species infections. Kamboj K, Vasquez A, Balada-Llasat JM. Front Microbiol. 2015 Oct 31;6:1204.
- Goughenour KD, Balada-Llasat JM, Rappleye CA. “Quantitative microplate-based growth assay for determination of antifungal susceptibility of Histoplasma capsulatum yeasts.” J Clin Microbiol. 2015 Aug 5
- Vasquez A, Balada-Llasat JM. Reply to “Confused by Weissela confusa Bacteremia.” J Clin Microbiol. 2015 Jun;53(6):2002.
- Wenzler E, Kamboj K, Balada-Llasat JM. Severe sepsis secondary to persistent lysinibacillus sphaericus, lysinibacillus fusiformis and paenibacillus amylolyticus bacteremia. Int J Infect Dis. 2015 Apr 27;35:93-95
- Salunke SB, Azad AK, Kapuriya NP, Balada-Llasat JM, Pancholi P, Schlesinger LS, Chen CS. Design and synthesis of novel anti-tuberculosis agents from the celecoxib pharmacophore. Bioorg Med Chem. 2015 May 1;23(9):1935-1943.
- Vasquez A, Pancholi P, Balada-Llasat JM. Photo quiz: Confusing bacteremia in a Crohn's disease patient. J Clin Microbiol. 2015 Mar;53(3):759.
- Vasquez A., Pancholi P, Balada-Llasat JM. Answer to the Photo Quiz: Weissella confusa. J Clin Microbiol. Volume: 53 Issue: 3. 1052 (Mar 2015)
- Deutscher M, Severing J, Balada-Llasat JM. Kerstersia gyiorum isolated from a bronchoalveolar lavage in a patient with a chronic tracheostomy. Case Rep Infect Dis. 2014;2014:479581.
- Chen W, Sarvepalli SK, Bazan JA, Pancholi P, Balada-Llasat JM. Kytococcus schroeteri bacteremic pneumonia. American Society for Clinical Pathology Check Sample Exercise. June 2013;56(4):No. MB13-5.
- Balada-Llasat JM, Kamboj K, Pancholi P. Identification of mycobacteria from solid and liquid media by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry in the clinical laboratory. J Clin Microbiol. 2013 Sep; 51(9): 2875-2879.
- Pancholi P, Kelly C, Raczkowski M, Balada-Llasat JM. Reply to comparison of detection methods for Clostridium difficile. J Clin Microbiol. 2013 May;51(5):1649.
- Pancholi P, Kelly C, Raczkowski M, Balada-Llasat JM. Detection of toxigenic clostridium difficile: Comparison of the Cell Culture Neutralization, Xpert C. difficile, Xpert C. difficile/Epi, and Illumigene C. difficile Assays. J Clin Microbiol. 2012 Apr;50(4):1331-1335.