Sergey V. Brodsky, MD, PhD
Dr. Brodsky graduated from North Ossetian State Medical Academy (Russia) in 1992 (MD). He obtained his PhD from the same medical school. After graduation, he stared his career as a researcher (see main topics below). In 2005-08 he completed residency in Anatomic Pathology (New York Medical College) and in 2008-09 he finished a fellowship in renal and transplant pathology at OSU. Dr. Brodsky is author/coauthor in more than 95 peer-reviewed publications and several book chapters. His main topics of research are:
- Mechanisms of renal blood flow and vascular tone regulation. Regulation of renal function and renal blood flow in experimental congestive heart failure.
- Endothelial cell dysfunction in hypertension and diabetes mellitus. Mechanisms of endothelial cell injury, the role of nitric oxide. Role of endothelial cell dysfunction in acute kidney injury.
- Angiogenesis and mechanisms of its regulation. Developed novel model of kidney angiogenesis in vitro.
- Endothelial microparticles and their role in the pathogenesis of endothelial cell dysfunction and angiogenesis.
- Anticoagulation and kidney function. Novel syndrome was discovered in patients on warfarin therapy and acute kidney injury (warfarin related nephropathy), an animal model was created and the pathogenesis is being studied.
- Renal pathology in patients with medical kidney diseases or kidney transplantation. Developed novel dual stain (PAS-Trichrome), which is currently used in the renal pathology practice.
2009 Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Academic and Medical Appointments
2015-Present Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2009-2015 Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2002-2005 Instructor and Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
1999-2002 Research Scientist, Department of Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
1997-1999 Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Department of Physiology, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
1995-1996 Assistant professor, Department of Physiology, North Ossetian State Medical Academy , Russia
Education and Training
2008-2009 Fellow, Renal Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2005-2008 Resident, Anatomic Pathology, New York Medical College at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY
1992-1995 Ph.D., North Ossetian State Medical Academy, Russia
1984-1992 M.D., North Ossetian State Medical Academy, Russia