Dr. Cotten is Director for Chemistry, Immunology, Toxicology and Point-of-Care testing at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
clinical laboratories. He is also the Laboratory Medical Director at the Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center and the Martha Morehouse Medial Plaza.
Dr. Cotten received his PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences from the School of Pharmacy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dr. Cotten is board
certified in Clinical Chemistry by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry. His primary research interests include drug testing in alternative matrices and operational efficiency metrics for clinical laboratories.
American Board of Clinical Chemistry
Academic and Medical Appointments
Assistant Professor Pathology Ohio State University
Director of Chemistry
Director of Immunology
Director of Toxicology
Director of Point-of-Care Testing
Division Director: Respiratory Therapy
Laboratory Director: Martha Morehouse Medical Plaza
Laboratory Director: Stefanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center
Education and Training
2012 Fellowship, Clinical Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2010 Ph.D., Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2001 B.S., Biochemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC
Search in PubMed
- Method-dependent discrepancies in fetal hemoglobin quantification in patients with hemoglobin S. Creary SE, Pyle-Eilola AL, Varga E, Cotten SW, Lorey T, Holmes DT, Greene DN. Journal of Pediatric Oncology 2016 38(5), 402-5
- Dystrophin-deficient dogs with reduced myostatin have unequal muscle growth and greater joint contractures. Kornegay JN Bogan DJ, Bogan JR, Dow JL, Wang J, Fan Z, Liu N, Warsing LC, Grange RW, Ahn M, Balog-Alvarez CJ, Cotten SW, Willis MS, Brinkmeyer-Langford C, Zhu H, Palandra J, Morris CA, Styner MA, Wagner KR Skeletal Muscle 2016 April 4;6:14
- Maternal-Infant Dyad Drug Testing Cotten SW. ASCP Case Reports December 2015 CC15-8
- What’s Your Guess: Direct Bilirubin higher than Total Bilirubin? Ball M, Miller M, Cotten SW. Clinical Chemistry 2015 June 61(6).
- Genetic myostatin decrease in the golden retriever muscular dystrophy model does not significantly affect the ubiquitin proteasome system despite enhancing the severity of disease. Cotten SW, Kornegay JN, Bogan DJ, Wadosky KM, Patterson C, Willis MS. American Journal of Translational Research 2013 Dec 1;6(1):43-53.
- Cyclodextrin removal of lipemic interference: An attractive alternative to ultracentrifugation for satellite laboratories. Roberts C, Cotten SW. Archives of Pathology 2013 Aug;137(8):1027-8.
- New FDA partnerships: Creating a space for innovative device development. Kampfrath TK, Cotten SW. Clinical Chemistry 2013 Jun;59(6):1003.
- The Medical Device Innovation Consortium: A new collaborative space for laboratory scientist contributions. Kampfrath TK, Cotten SW. Clinical Biochemistry 2013 Oct;46(15):1320-2.
- Evaluation of digital images for identification and characterization of monoclonal immunoglobulins by immunofixation. Bender LM, Cotten SW, Fedoriw Y, Willis MS, McCudden CR. Clinical Biochemistry 2013 Feb;46(3):255-8.
- Drug Testing in the Neonate. Cotten SW. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 2012 32(3):449-66.
- Unexpected interference of baby wash products with the Vitros THC immunoassay. Cotten SW, Duncan D, Burch E, Seashore C, Hammett-Stabler CA. Clinical Biochemistry 2012 45(9):605-9. (Featured on the “The Colbert Report” Comedy Central June 21, 2012)
- Multiple positive sweat chloride tests in an infant asymptomatic for cystic fibrosis. Cotten SW, Bender LM, Willis MS. Lab Medicine 2012 43(2):37-40.
- mRNA display-based selections using synthetic peptide and natural protein libraries. Cotten SW, Zou J, Wang R, Huang BC, Liu R. Methods in Molecular Biology 2012 805:287-97.
- mRNA display using covalent coupling of mRNA to translated protein. Wang R, Cotten SW, Liu R. Methods in Molecular Biology 2012 805:87-100.
- Selection of proteins with desired properties from natural proteome libraries using mRNA display. Cotten SW, Zou J, Valencia CA, Liu R. Nature Protocols 2011 6(8):1163-82.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi, MD, PhD: Luminaries Ranek MJ, Cotten SW, Willis MS Lab Medicine 2011 42:694-698.
- Kids in America: Newborn screening for cystic fibrosis Bender LM, Cotten SW, Willis MS Lab Medicine 2011 42:595-601.
- What’s your guess: The case of the blue-green urine. Cotten SW, McCudden CR Clinical Chemistry 2011 57(4):646-7.
- Lacosamide isothiocyanate-based agents: novel agents to target and identify lacosamide receptors. Park KD, Morieux P, Salomé C, Cotten SW, Reamtong O, Eyers C, Gaskell SJ, Stables JP, Liu R, Kohn H. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2009 52(21):6897-911.
- mRNA-display-based selections for proteins with desired functions: a protease-substrate case study. Valencia CA and Cotten SW, Dong B, Liu R. Biotechnology Progress 2008 24(3):561-9.