Rulong Shen, MD
Rulong Shen, MD is an Associate Professor-Clinical and Director of the Cytology Division, Anatomic Pathology Branch. He earned his MD from Zhenjiang Medical College in China. He completed a residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio followed by a residency in Pathology at the Medical College of Ohio in Toledo. He then went on to complete a fellowship in Cytopathology at Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University. Dr. Shen is board certified in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Cytopathology.
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
Academic and Medical Appointments
2009-Present Associate Professor-Clinical, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
2007-Present Director, Division of Cytopathology, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
2015-Present Cytopathology Fellowship Director, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
Education and Training
2002-2003 Cytopathology Fellow, Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University
2000-2002 Resident of Pathology, Medical College of Ohio (AP/CP)
1983-1986 Surgical Pathology Fellow, Nanjing Medical College, Department of Pathology
1981-1983 Resident, Department of Pathology, Zhenjiang Medical College
1978-1981 M.D. Internal Medicine: Zhenjiang Medical College
- Zaibo Li, Wei Li, Sandya Liyanarachchi, Huiling He and Rulong Shen: Parasitic thyroid nodule with nodular hyperplasia supported by MicroRNA signature and Molecular mutation study. submit to Int J Clin Exp Pathol. Feb. 2016. IP: 1.891
- Shuting Zhao, Zhaobin Xu, Hai Wang1, Ben Reese, Mingjun Zhang, Rulong Shen, Zhenguo Liu2, Noah Weisleder, and Xiaoming He: Biomimetic engineering of pluripotent stem cells for injectable delivery and augmented therapy of myocardial infarction (reference number: NM16020354), submitted to Nature Medicine. Impact factor: 27.363
- Chengquan Zhao, Barbara A. Crothers, Mohiedean Ghofrani, Zaibo Li, Rhona J. Souers,; Mujtaba Hussain, Fang Fan, Idris Tolgay Ocal, Goodrich KM, Rulong Shen, Diane D. Davey, College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Committee.: Human Papillomavirus Genotyping Testing Practice in 2014: Results of a College of American Pathologists National Survey, submitted to Arch Pathol Lab Med., Feb. 2016.IP: 2.838.
- Wang, Yanqiang; Li, Wei; Phay, John; Shen, Rulong; Pellegata, Natalia; Saji, Motoyasu; Ringel, Matthew; de la Chapelle, Albert; He, Huiling: Primary cell culture systems for human thyroid studies. Submitted to Thyroid. Feb. 2016. IP: 4.493
- Jin Sun, Rulong Shen, James Liu, Xueliang Pan, Donald Quimby, Nicola Zanesi, Teresa Druck, Louise Y. Fong, Kay Huebner: Reduction in squamous cell carcinomas in mouse skin by dietary zinc supplementation. Submitted to: International Journal of Cancer Jan-2016, co-first author, IP: 5.085.
- Welling, and Long-Sheng Chang: Components of the eIF4F complex are potential therapeutic targets for malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors and vestibular schwannomas, accepted for publication in the journal Neuro-Oncology. Feb. 2016
- Zaibo Li, Dena M. Tonkovich and Rulong Shen: Impact of touch imprint cytology on imaging-guided core needle biopsies: An experience from a large academic medical center laboratory. Diagn Cytopathol. 2016 Feb;44(2):87-90. Impact Factor, 1.121.
- Pan Q, Yang GL, Yang JH, Lin SL, Liu N, Liu SS, Liu MY, Zhang LH, Huang YR, Shen Rulong, Liu Q, Gao JX, Bo JJ.: Metformin can block precancerous progression to invasive tumors of bladder through inhibiting STAT3-mediated signaling pathways. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Aug 7;34:77. impact factor: 4.43
- He H, Li W, Liyanarachchi S, Srinivas M, Wang Y, Akagi K, Wang Y, Wu D, Wang Q, Jin V, Symer DE, Rulong Shen, Phay J, Nagy R, de la Chapelle A: Multiple functional variants in long-range enhancer elements contribute to the risk of SNP rs965513 in thyroid cancer Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 May 12;112(19):. impact factor: 9.809.
- Jin C, Qin L, Shi Y, Candas D, Fan M, Lu CL, Vaughan AT, Rulong Shen, Wu LS, Liu R, Li RF, Murley JS, Woloschak G, Grdina DJ, Li JJ.: CDK4-mediated MnSOD activation and mitochondrial homeostasis in radioadaptive protection. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015 Apr;81:77-87. Impact Factor: 5.710
- Lu Y, Wu Y, Feng X, Shen R, Wang JH, Fallahi M, Li W, Yang C, Hankey W, Zhao W, Ganju RK, Li MO, Cleveland JL, Zou X: CDK4 deficiency promotes genomic instability and enhances Myc-driven lymphomagenesis. J Clin Invest. 2014 Apr 1;124 (4):1672-84. Impact Factor of 14.689.
- Yan Gan , Qiang Liu , Wei Wu , Jun-Xiang Yin , Xue-Feng Bai , Rulong Shen, Yongjun Wang , Jieli Chen , Antonio La Cava , Jennifer Poursine-Laurent , Wayne Yokoyama , Fu-Dong Shi (corr-auth): Ischemic neurons recruit natural killer cells that accelerate brain infarction, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Feb 18;111(7):2704-9. impact factor is 9.737
- Adhikari LJ, Rulong Shen: Florid diffuse peritoneal deciduosis mimicking carcinomatosis in a primigravida patient. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013; 6(11): 2615-9. IP: 1.891
- Wang Z, Liu J-Q, Liu Z, Rulong Shen, Zhang G, Xu J, Basu J, Feng Y, Bai XF. Tumor-derived IL-35 promotes tumor growth by enhancing myeloid cell accumulation and angiogenesis. J Immunology. 2013 Mar 1:190(5):2415-23. Impact factor: 4.922