Paul E. Wakely, Jr., MD
I am a board-certified surgical pathologist and cytopathologist specializing in fine needle aspiration cytopathology, head/neck pathology, and soft tissue/bone pathology. I have been in practice since 1983, and am a tenured professor in the Department. I am a frequent speaker at regional, national, and international courses regarding these subjects.
My research involves application of new technologies to the detection and diagnosis of head/neck and soft tissue/bone neoplasms. I have collaborated with the Thyroid Cancer Unit for more than 15 years. I serve as a co-Investigator for the Pathology and Clinical Correlation Core of the OSU Thyroid Cancer P01 SPORE Grant in which I have been responsible for pathology review of thyroid tissue/tumors collected from patients. I also provide thyroid cancer-specific reviews of tissues for clinical trials in thyroid cancer and also from tissue microarrays and other samples collected as part of the Endocrine Neoplasia Repository.
I am currently an associate editor of the Journal of American Society of Cytopathology, and previously served as associate editor of Cancer Cytopathology for ten years. I currently serve on the Education Committee of the U.S./Canadian Academy of Pathology, and previously served on the American Board of Pathology test development & advisory committee. Prior awards include the M-II pathology teaching award (OSU), the anatomic pathology resident teaching award (twice), and Y. Oertel Interventional Cytopathologist Award from the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology.
1991 Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
1990 Pediatric Pathology, American Board of Pathology
1983 Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
1976 State of Ohio Board of Medicine
Academic and Medical Appointments
1998-Present Tenured Professor, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio.
2001-Present Adjunct Professor, Department of Otolaryngology,, The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio.
Education and Training
1982-1983 Resident, Laboratory Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
1980-1982 Fellow, Pathology, Children's Hospital, U. of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
1978-1980 Resident, Pathology, University Hospital, U. of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
1976-1977 Resident, Pediatrics, Children's Hospital, U. of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
1971-1975 M.D., St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
1967-1971 B.S., The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Peer-Reviewed Publications (recent):
- Jendrzejewski JP, Liyanarachchi S, Nagy R, Senter L, Wakely PE Jr, Thomas A, Nabhan F, He H, Li W, Sworczak K, Ringel MD, Kirschner LS, de la Chapelle A. Papillary thyroid carcinoma: association between germline DNA variant markers and clinical parameters. Thyroid (in press)
- Soldatova L, Campbell RG, Carrau RL, Prevedello DM, Wakely Jr. P, Otto BA, Ditzel Filho LF.Sinonasal Carcinomas with Neuroendocrine Features: Histopathological Differentiation and Treatment Outcomes. J Neurol Surg B 2016; 77 - A127
- VandenBussche CJ, Sathiyamoorthy S, Wakely PE Jr, Ali SZ. Chondroblastic osteosarcoma: cytomorphologic characteristics and differential diagnosis on FNA. Cancer (in press)
- Kumar B, Cipolla MJ, Old MO, Brown NV, Kang SY, Dziegielewski PT, Durmus K, Ozer E, Agrawal A, Carrau RL, Schuller DE, Leon ME, Pan Q, Kumar P, Wood V, Burgers J, Wakely PE Jr, Teknos TN. Surgical management of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: Survival and functional outcomes. Head Neck 2016;38 Suppl 1:E1794-802.
- Adhikari LJ, Reynolds JP, Wakely PE Jr. Multi-institutional study of fine needle aspiration for thyroid lymphoma. J Am Soc Cytopath 2016; 5:170-76.
- Wakely, Jr. PE, Jin M. Myxoid Liposarcoma: fine-needle aspiration cytopathology in the molecular era. A report of twenty-four cases. J Am Soc Cytopath 2016; 5:162-69.
- Kramer ST, Murat S, Wakely PE Jr. Slow-Growing Right Mandibular Mass. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016; 28:1-3.
- Jin M, Jakowski J, Wakely, Jr. PE. Undifferentiated (anaplastic) thyroid carcinoma and its mimics: a report of 59 cases. J Am Soc Cytopath 2016; 5:107-15.
- Hipp JA, Jing X, Zarka M, Schmitt AC, Siddiqui MT, Wakely P Jr, Bishop J, Ali SZ. Cytomorphologic characteristics and differential diagnoses of lymphoepithelial carcinoma of the parotid. J Am Soc Cytopath 2016; 5:93-99.
- Onur I, Siddiqui MT, Wakely PE Jr., Ali SZ. Pseudomyxoma peritonei: cytomorphologic findings and clinicopathologic correlates. J Am Soc Cytopath 2016; 5:43-49.