Our research focuses on skin biology and cutaneous pathology. Much of our work revolves around understanding how pro-inflammatory and pro-angiogenic regulatory pathways contribute to skin cancer development, wound healing, and scar formation Our lab also uses a model of fetal wound healing to identify novel pro- and anti-fibrotic signaling pathways and to understand the molecular mechanisms leading to regeneration and scarless healing in fetal skin.
Academic and Medical Appointments
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio.
Education and Training
2003-2006 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Surgery, Loyola University Chicago Medical Center, Maywood, IL
2002-2003 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
1998-2001 Ph.D., Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
1995-1998 B.S., Microbiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Search in PubMed
- D Gallego-Perez, JJ Otero, C Czeisler, J Ma, C Ortiz, P Gygli, FP Catacutan, HN Gokozan, A Cowgill, T Sherwood, S Ghatak, V Malkoc, X Zhao, WC Liao, S Gnyawali, X Wang, AF Adler, K Leong, B Wulff, TA Wilgus, C Askwith, S Khanna, C Rink, CK Sen, LJ Lee. 2016. Deterministic transfection drives efficient nonvital reprogramming and uncovers reprogramming barriers. Nanomedicine 12(2): 399-409.
- L Chen, ME Schrementi, MJ Ranzer, TA Wilgus, LA DiPietro. 2014. Blockade of mast cell activation reduces cutaneous scar formation. PLoS One 9(1): e85226.
- KE Johnson, BC Wulff, TM Oberyszyn, and TA Wilgus. 2013. Ultraviolet light exposure stimulates HMGB1 release by keratinocytes. Arch Dermatol Res 305(9): 805-815.
- BC Wulff and TA Wilgus. 2013. Mast cell activity in the healing wound: More than meets the eye? Exp Dermatol 22(8): 507-510.
- JC McDaniel, S Roy, and TA Wilgus. 2013. Neutrophil Activity in Chronic Venous Leg Ulcers – A Target for Therapy? Wound Repair Regen 21(3): 339-351.
- AD Dardenne, BC Wulff, and TA Wilgus. 2013. The alarmin HMGB-1 influences healing outcomes in fetal skin wounds. Wound Repair Regen 21(2): 282-291.
- BC Wulff and TA Wilgus. 2013. Examining the role of mast cells in fetal wound healing using cultured cells in vitro. Methods Mol Biol 1037: 495-506.
- BC Wulff, L Yu, AE Parent, and TA Wilgus. 2013. Novel differences in the expression of inflammation-associated genes between mid- and late-gestational dermal fibroblasts. Wound Repair Regen 21(1): 103-112.
- TA Wilgus and LA DiPietro. 2012. Complex roles for VEGF in dermal wound healing. J Invest Dermatol 132(2): 493-4.
- BC Wulff, AE Parent, MA Meleski, LA DiPietro, ME Schrementi, and TA Wilgus. 2012. Mast cells contribute to scar formation during fetal wound healing. J Invest Dermatol 132(2): 458-65.
- TA Wilgus, AM Ferreira, TM Oberyszyn, VK Bergdall, and LA DiPietro. 2008. Regulation of scar formation by vascular endothelial growth factor. Lab Invest 88(6): 579-590.
- ME Kleinman, K Yamada, A Takeda, V Chandrasekaran, M Nozaki, JZ Baffi, RJC Albuquerque, S Yamasaki, M Itaya, Y Pan, B Appukuttan, D Gibbs, Z Yang, K Karikó, BK Ambati, TA Wilgus, LA DiPietro, E Sakurai, K Zhang, JR Smith, EW Taylor, and J Ambati. 2008. Sequence- and target-independent angiogenesis suppression by siRNA via TLR3. Nature 452(7187): 591-598.
- KL Tober, TA Wilgus, DF Kusewitt, JM Thomas-Ahner, T Maruyama, and TM Oberyszyn. 2006. Importance of the EP1 receptor in cutaneous UVB-induced inflammation and tumor development. J Invest Dermatol 126: 205-211.
- TA Wilgus, AM Matthies, KA Radek, J Dovi, A Burns, R Shankar, and LA DiPietro. 2005. Novel function for vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 on epidermal keratinocytes. Am J Pathol 167(5): 1257-1266.
- TA Wilgus, VK Bergdall, KL Tober, KJ Hill, S Mitra, NA Flavahan, and TM Oberyszyn. 2004. The impact of cyclooxygenase-2 mediated inflammation on scarless fetal wound healing. Am J Pathol 165(3): 753-761.
- TA Wilgus, TS Breza, Jr., and TM Oberyszyn. 2004. Treatment with 5-fluorouracil and celecoxib displays synergistic regression of ultraviolet light B-induced skin tumors. J Invest Dermatol 122(6) 1488-1494.
- TA Wilgus, AT Koki, B Zweifel, PA Rubal, DF Kusewitt, and TM Oberyszyn. 2003. Inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 activity with topical celecoxib blocks cutaneous ultraviolet light-B mediated inflammation and tumor formation. Mol Carcinog 38(2) 49-58.
- TA Wilgus, AT Koki, B Zweifel, PA Rubal, and TM Oberyszyn. 2003. Chemotherapeutic efficacy of topical celecoxib in a murine model of ultraviolet light B induced skin cancer. Mol Carcinog 38(1) 33-39.
- TA Wilgus, Y Vodovotz, E Vittadini, EA Clubbs, and TM Oberyszyn. 2003. Reduction of scar formation in full-thickness wounds with topical celecoxib treatment. Wound Repair Regen 11(1) 25-34.
- TA Wilgus, MS Ross, ML Parrett, and TM Oberyszyn. 2000. Topical application of a selective cyclooxygenase inhibitor suppresses UVB mediated cutaneous inflammation. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 62(4) 367-384.