Anil Parwani, MD, PhD, MBA
Professor and Vice Chair
Dr. Anil Parwani is a Professor of Pathology at The Ohio State University. He serves as the Vice Chair and Director of Anatomical Pathology. Dr. Parwani is also the Director of Pathology Informatics and Director of the Digital Pathology Shared Resource at The James Cancer Hospital. His research is focused on diagnostic and prognostic markers in bladder and prostate cancer, and molecular classification of renal cell carcinoma. Dr. Parwani has expertise in the area of surgical pathology, viral immunology and pathology informatics including designing quality assurance tools, bio banking informatics, clinical and research data integration, applications of whole slide imaging, digital imaging, telepathology, image analysis and lab automation. Dr. Parwani has authored over 300 peer-reviewed articles in major scientific journals and several books and book chapters. Dr. Parwani is the Editor-in-chief of Diagnostic Pathology and one of the Editors of the Journal of Pathology Informatics.
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Academic and Medical Appointments
2015-present Vice Chair and Director, Anatomic Pathology, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
2015-present Professor, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
2015-presentDirector, Digital Pathology Shared Resource, Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
2015-present Professor, Secondary Appointment, Department of Biomedical Informatics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Education and Training
2009-2013 MBA, Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, PA
2003-2004 Fellow, Urological Pathology, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
1999-2003 Resident, Anatomical and Clinical Pathology, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
1995-1999 M.D., Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
1989-1993 Ph.D., Virology, Ohio State University, Wooster, OH
- Hou Y, Nitta H, Parwani AV, Li Z. PD-L1 and CD8 are associated with deficient mismatch repair status in triple-negative and HER2-positive breast cancers. Hum Pathol. 2019 Apr;86:108-114. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2018.12.007. Epub 2019 Jan 8. PMID: 30633926
- Niazi MKK, Parwani AV, Gurcan MN. Digital pathology and artificial intelligence. Lancet Oncol. 2019 May;20(5):e253-e261. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30154-8. PMID: 31044723
- Girolami I, Parwani A, Barresi V, Marletta S, Ammendola S, Stefanizzi L, Novelli L, Capitanio A, Brunelli M, Pantanowitz L, Eccher A. The landscape of digital pathology in transplantation: from the beginning to the virtual E-slide. J Pathol Inform. 2019 Jul 1;10:21. doi: 10.4103/jpi.jpi_27_19. eCollection 2019. PMID: 31367473. PMCID: PMC6639852.
- Li F, Pascal LE, Stolz DB, Wang K, Zhou Y, Chen W, Xu Y, Chen Y, Dhir R, Parwani AV, Nelson JB, DeFranco DB, Yoshimura N, Balasubramani GK, Gingrich JR, Maranchie JK, Jacobs BL, Davies BJ, Brebinko RL, Bigley JD, McBride D, Guo P, He D, Wang Z. E-cadherin is downregulated in benign prostatic hyperplasia and required for tight junction formation and permeability barrier in the prostatic epithelial cell monolayer. Prostate. 2019 Aug;79(11):1226-1237. doi:10.1002/pros.23806. Epub 2019 June 18. PMID: 31212363, PMCID: PMC6599563
- Abels E, Pantanowitz L, Aeffner F, Zarella MD, van der Laak J, Bui MM, Vemuri VN, Parwani AV, Gibbs J, Agosto-Arroyo E, Beck AH, Kozlowski C. Computational pathology definitions, best practices, and recommendations for regulatory guidance: a white paper from the Digital Pathology Association. J Pathol. 2019 Nov;249(3):286-294. Epub 2019 Jul 29. doi: 10.1002/path.5331. PMID: 31355445. PMCID: PMC6852275.
- Farchoukh L, Laframboise WA, Nelson JB, Bastacky S, Parwani AV, Dhir R. Multifocal extraprostatic extension of prostate cancer. Am J Clin Path. 2019 Dec 11. [Epub ahead of print.] doi: 10.1093/ajcp/aqz193. PMID: 31825470.
- Parwani AV. Commentary: Automated Diagnosis and Gleason Grading of Prostate Cancer – Are Artificial Intelligence Systems Ready for Prime Time? J Pathol Inform. 2019 Dec 23:10:41. Doi: 10.4103/jpi/jpi_56_19. eCollection 2019. PMID: 32089952.
- Parwani AV. Next generation diagnostic pathology: use of digital pathology and artificial intelligence tools to augment a pathological diagnosis. Diagn Pathol. 2019 Dec 27;14(1):138. doi: 10.1186/s13000-019-0921-2. PMID: 31881972; PMCID: PMC96933733.
- Girolami I, Pantanowitz L, Marletta S, Brunelli M, Mescoli C, Parisi A, Barresi V, Parwani A, Neil D, Scarpa A, Rossi ED, Eccher A. Diagnostic concordance between whole slide imaging and conventional light microscopy in cytopathology: a systematic review. Cancer Cytopathol. 2020 Jan:128(1):17-28. Epub 2019 Oct 10. doi: 10.1002/cncy.22195. PMID: 31600035
- Li AC, Zhao J, Zhao C, Ma Z, Hartage R, Zhang Y, Li X, Parwani AV. Quantitative digital imaging analysis of HER2 immunohistochemistry predicts the response to anti-HER2 neoadjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020 Jan 30. [Epub ahead of print.] doi: 10.1007/s10549-020-05546-0. PMID: 32002765
- Hartage R, Li AC, Hammond S, Parwani AV. A Validation Study of Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 Immunohistochemistry Digital Imaging Analysis and its Correlation with Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 Fluorescence In situ Hybridization Results in Breast Carcinoma. J Pathol Inform. 2020 Feb 4:11:2. Doi: 10.4103/jpi.jpi_52_19. PMID: 32154039.
- Hou Y, Nitta H, Parwani AV, Li Z. The assessment of HER2 status and its clinical implication in breast cancer. Diag Histo. 2020 Feb;26(2):61-68. Epub 2019 Nov 19. doi: 10.1016/j.mpdhp.2019.10.014.
- Jin M, Parwani AV, Li Z, Wakely PE Jr. Cytopathology of Xp11 Translocation Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Report of 5 Cases. J Am Soc Cytopathol. 2020 Mar-Apr:9(2):95-102. Doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2019.10.005. Epub 2020 Jan 28. PMID: 32029406.