W. James Waldman, PhD is an Associate Professor in the Experimental Pathology Branch as well as the Director of Pathology Graduate Studies in the Department. He earned his PhD in
the Department of Pathology at The Ohio State University as well as his postdoctoral training. Dr. Waldman’s research focuses on autoimmune vascular injury, antiviral/immunosuppressive
drug development for treatment of viral diseases in transplant patients, and environmental toxicology.
Academic and Medical Appointments
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics
Director, Pathology Graduate Studies
Clinical Associate Professor, School of Allied Medical Professions Radiologic Technology Division
Investigator, Center for Microbial Interface Biology
Education and Training
1990 Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Department of Pathology, Columbus, Ohio
1980 M.S., The Ohio State University School of Allied Medical Professions, Columbus, Ohio
1978 B.S., University Without Walls/Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
Search in PubMed
- Zane A, McCracken C, Knight DA, Young T, Lutton AD, Olesik JW, Waldman WJ,* Dutta PK* (2015): Uptake of bright fluorophore core-silica shell nanoparticles by biological systems. International Journal of Nanomedicine 10: 1547-67. doi: 10.2147/IJN.S76208.
- Zane A, McCracken C, Knight DA, Waldman WJ, Dutta PK (2014): Spectroscopic evaluation of the nucleation and growth for microwave-assisted CdSe/CdS/ZnS quantum dot synthesis. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118: 22258-22267.
- McCracken C, Zane A, Knight D, Dutta P, Waldman WJ (2013): Minimal intestinal epithelial cell toxicity in response to short- and long-term food-relevant inorganic nanoparticle exposure. Chemical Research in Toxicology 26: 1514-1525. IF: 3.667
- Binkley PF, Cooke GE, Lesinski A, Taylor M, Chen M, Laskowski B, Waldman WJ, Ariza ME, Williams MV Jr., Knight DA, Glaser R (2013): Evidence for the role of Epstein-Barr virus infections in the pathogenesis of acute coronary events. PLoS One 8(1): e54008. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0054008. Epub 2013 Jan 17.
- Henao-Martinez AF, Weinberg A, Waldman WJ, Levi ME (2012): Successful treatment of acyclovir-resistant herpes simplex virus type 2 proctitis with leflunomide in an HIV-infected man. Journal of Clinical Virology 54: 276-278.
- Nagy A, Zane A, Cole S, Severance M, Dutta PK, Waldman WJ (2011): Contrast of the biological activity of negatively and positively charged microwave-synthesized CdSe/ZnS quantum dots. Chemical Research in Toxicology 24: 2176-2188.
- Peebles BC, Dutta PK, Waldman WJ, Villamena F, Nash K, Severance M, Nagy A (2011): Physicochemical and toxicological properties of commercial carbon blacks modified by reaction with ozone. Environmental Science & Technology 45:10668-10675
- Nagy A, Harrison A, Sabbani S, Munson RS, Dutta PK, Waldman WJ (2011): Silver nanoparticles embedded in zeolite membranes: Release of silver ions and mechanisms of antimicrobial action. International Journal of Nanomedicine 6:1833-1852.
- Dunn MCC, Knight DA, Waldman WJ (2011): Antiviral activity of leflunomide against respiratory syncytial virus in vivo. Antiviral Therapy 16: 309-317.
- Peebles B, Nagy A., Waldman WJ, Dutta PK (2010): Fenton activity and cytotoxicity studies of iron-loaded carbon particles. Environmental Science and Technology 44: 6887-6892.
- Sabbani S, Ballego D, Nagy A, Waldman WJ, Hansford D, Dutta PK (2010): Synthesis of micropatterned silver-zeolite films and its application as an antimicrobial substrate. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials135: 131-136.
- Avery RK, Mossad SB, Poggio E, Lard M, Budev M, Bolwell B, Waldman WJ, Williams J, Braun W, Mawhorter SD, Fatica R, Krishnamurthi V, Shrestha R, Stephany B, Lurain N, Yen-Lieberman B (2010): Utility of leflunomide in the treatment of complex CMV syndromes. Transplantation 90: 419-426.
- Schumacher W, Nagy A, Waldman WJ, Dutta PK (2009): Direct synthesis of aqueous CdSe/ZnS-based quantum dots using microwave irradiation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 113: 12132-12139
- Machesky NJ, Zhang G, Raghavan B, Zimmerman P, Kelly SL, Merrill, Jr. AH, Waldman WJ, Van Brocklyn JR, Trgovcich J (2008): Human cytomegalovirus regulates bioactive sphingolipids. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 26148-26160.
- Ruda-Eberenz TA, Nagy A, Waldman WJ, Dutta PK (2008): Entrapment of ionic tris(2,2’-bipyridyl) ruthenium(II) in hydrophobic siliceous zeolite: O2 sensing in biological environments. Langmuir Journal 24: 9140-9147.
- Waldman WJ, Williams MV, Litsky ML, Lemeshow S, Binkley P, Guttridge D, Kiecolt-Glaser J, Knight DA, Ladner KJ, Glaser R (2008): Epstein Barr virus-encoded dUTPase enhances proinflammatory cytokine production by macrophages interacting with endothelial cells: Evidence for stress-induced atherosclerotic risk. Brain, Behavior and Immunity 22: 215-223.
- Magro CM, Schaefer JT, Waldman J, Knight D, Seilstad K, Hearne D (2008): Terbinafine-induced dermatomyositis: a case report and literature review of drug-induced dermatomyositis. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology 35: 74-81.
- Zhang G, Raghavan B, Kotur M, Cheatham J, Sedmak D, Cook C, Waldman WJ, Trgovcich J (2007): Antisense transcription in the human cytomegalovirus transcriptome. Journal of Virology 81: 11267-11281.
- Williams CR, Sykes JE, Mehl M, Macleod JS, Lindsay LL, Poland AM, Chen YJ Kyles AE, Waldman WJ, Gregory CR (2007): In vitro effects of the active metabolite of leflunomide, A77 1726, on feline herpesvirus-1. American Journal of Veterinary Research 68: 1010-1015.